prestige sports vehicle detailing scaled

Vehicle Detailers Insurance

Specialist insurance for vehicle detailers, including sports, classic and prestige models

scroll down

Vehicle Detailers Insurance

What is vehicle detailing insurance?

Vehicle detailers undertake specialist work to ensure that their customer’s vehicles look their very best. This often involves work on classic, prestige and high-value vehicles, demanding exacting attention to detail and great skill. Because of this, vehicle detailing requires more than standard motor trade insurance.

In addition to road risks cover and traders combined insurance, you will need cover for the specialist tools and equipment you use, and may wish to apply temporary higher limits of indemnity when working on higher value sports cars and prestige vehicles, for example. As a broker who understands the painstaking work you undertake, Kingfisher’s expert team can guide you through what is needed to insure your detailing business, and can arrange cover for everything from body shop work to vehicle sales.

Kingfisher works alongside the Professional Valeters and Detailers Association (PVD) to ensure high standards are met through ongoing training and development in the industry. This can help you to manage the cost of insurance premiums by potentially lowering the risk to your business by demonstrating to insurers that you are less likely to make a claim.

A special deal in association with PVD for Kingfisher clients

Kingfisher has partnered with the Professional Valeters & Detailers (PVD) Trade Association to offer a range of exclusive benefits when you take out insurance with us, including:

  • For PVD Members, Kingfisher will pay for your PVD assessment and offer a 5% insurance premium discount if you then pass your PVD theory and practical assessment and become a ‘PVD Approved’ Member.
  • For current PVD Approved Members, we will offer a 10% reduction on your insurance renewal premium.
  • For car care professionals who are not current PVD members and wish to join the Trade Association, Kingfisher will offer a £75 contribution towards your PVD Assessment and first year of membership.

We visit your business to evaluate your specific needs and offer you the appropriate insurance.

iStock 1064296016

Why choose Kingfisher for Classic Vehicle Insurance?

Nationwide coverage

We visit premises across the UK

Personal service

From a dedicated team of motor trade insurance experts

Product coverage

Whatever your motor trade, we’ll seek insurance for your needs

kingfisherinsurance logo icon

Frequently Asked Questions

What insurance do I need for vehicle detailing?

You will need motor trade road risks insurance for customer vehicles under your care, custody and control; driving on any public road requires insurance. You may also need a range of specialist covers under a traders combined policy, including cover for business premises you own or lease (if not adequately insured by your landlord), cover for tools and equipment, events cover (e.g. for Show and Shine competitions), and liability coverage for customer injuries or property damage. Speak to Kingfisher for more information on the cover you should consider.

What risks do I need to be aware for vehicle detailing insurance?

Working with expensive vehicles – either on an ad-hoc or more regular basis – means the potential cost of settling claims is higher. If you rely on your customer’s insurance to cover costs of any damage following a claim, you could be out of pocket – or even out of business. In addition to your motor trade insurance policy, ensure you have an appropriate subrogation waiver from your client’s insurer before commencing work on an expensive vehicle, or request temporary cover from your broker for working on higher value vehicles.

How can I get cheaper motor trade insurance as a vehicle detailer?

As a specialist, you will want to limit the number of people who drive under your policy to minimise the risk of a claim. Make sure you have a high enough limit of indemnity for the vehicles you are working on, and ensure any stock, equipment, machinery and tools are factored into the level of insurance cover you purchase. Secure your premises with appropriate alarms, perimeter fencing, and exit barriers. Additionally, work with Kingfisher, a broker who can help you to insure against these risks with the appropriate level of insurance year-round, as well as for one-off events.

Explore Other Kingfisher Insurance Products

Insurance for motor traders

property icon

Non-standard home

Insurance for non-standard homes

motor sport icon


Insurance for motorsport professionals & enthusiasts

kingfisherinsurance logo icon white

Request a Callback

MT Quote

Part 1: Your Quote

The name of your business
Your Name(Required)
What is your main line of work?
MM slash DD slash YYYY

Classic Vehicle Insurance – News & Insights